Tuesday 28 August 2012

Dissertation Discoveries: 1

Hello to all :)

As some of you might know, I am currently trying to write my Dissertation. 4000 words of French does not come easily to anybody I think but I'm starting to find my topic a little more interesting and so I'm hoping the words start flowing out soon. 

My chosen title is: Andorra - A French principality more than a Spanish one?

Now then, Andorra is not struggling nation in Africa as America seems to have thought in 2008 (see video below) but rather a tiny landlocked nation on the borders of both France and Spain. You may not have heard an awful lot about Andorra because it isn't exactly a country but a co-principality. There is no reigning monarch in Andorra. It is the responsibility of both the President of France and the Bishop of El Seu d'Urgell in Catalonia to look after Andorra and its people.

However, during the 1930's, a Russian adventurer by the name of Boris Skossyreff decided that he would seize power over Andorra and called himself 'Boris 1 King of Andorra' for a total of 8 days.

The French president was in favour of this change, as were the general council of Andorra but the Bishop of Urgell was asked by a minor advisor to involve the civil guard. And so, after consulting with the French President, the Bishop involved the Spanish civil guard and Boris was taken away to Madrid for questioning and later expelled from Spain!

I found this fascinating when I discovered it yesterday and I guess it just goes to show that just about anything can happen if you have a dream!

Well, it's back to research for me. 

Thanks for reading :)

Ciao! x


No comments:

Post a Comment